Thursday, March 22, 2012

Limitless Sample Remix

For the past week I've been working on DJ effects and mapping them to my APC40 controller. My friend, Thomas Clough aka theping781, took me over to meet a couple real DJ's, Dj Aleve and Marcobiotics. Aleve showed me some stuttering effects called loop rolls. I learned how to do that and some other stuff. Here is a sample remix of what I used a couple of DJ effects on:


I'd post the whole song, but I didn't really do a whole lot to it. Instead, I posted the most interesting snippet with the the most effects used. Perhaps if I do more later, I'll repost the whole song. Here is what the module looks like:


To the left is the 8 custom mapped knobs, and to the right are all the effects "grouped" into the effects panel that make it work. Pretty snazzy stuff!

Also went up to Kansas City with Tom and his DJ friends and saw Dieselboy. The concert was epic, and loud!

I've been trying to learn how to put effects on what is called "dummy tracks." This allows you to map out effects onto keys and process a song through "dummy tracks" that feed into the master output. It's one way to create clean effects that are mapped to keys instead of knobs. Unfortunately, the tutorials I've seen lately are super vague on how to do this. For DJ effects, I've been laying out the same track side-by-side, and using the crossfader to quickly switch to the track that doesn't have effects on it. I've not seen anyone do this in any tutorials, so that can't be the right way to do it...

After I'm done playing around with the effects and learning more live performance tricks, I'll go back to making another song. I like to figure out how all this stuff works, that way when I go to a new track, I can apply everything I've learned. The next song will be heavy on loop rolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment