Monday, February 6, 2012

Voice Work

Not much going on the last few days, except I got my DVDs and my APC40 controller:


The controller is fun to play with, but it's definitely a live set piece of equipment. I downloaded one of Tom Cosm's sample live sets to play with, and it's really fun! His live set sample is very intricate, almost scary when I think about how I have to get to his level.

I ordered "An Introduction to Digitial Audio Production" by Tom Cosm. So far, it's very intimidating! There is so much interweaving of effects and this guy makes it look so easy!

Also, I watched one of his videos on voice work using an effect called "Vocoder." This is what I got when I used it:


This sample was taken from a line in a script I did for Tom's machinima series, "Legends of Roika." Check it out here! You can also check out his musical progress here. I definitely want and need voices in my music, and for now I can synthesize my own voice to sound really cool. Eventually, though, that'll get old. I've noticed people use sample packs to create their live sets (like pre-recorded voice work, drum beats, etc...). Really nice idea, except I'd like to be the author of my own music.

The blogs will probably be scarce over the next week or two, as I'm going to watch the 10-hour DVDs just to study Tom Cosm's method, and I may re-watch it for further clarification. I can definitely feel the process slowing down as I now must create something I've never made. I trust that in a few weeks, though, I will have a firm grasp and will be able to make complex beats with minimal effort. I would prefer not to spend an eternity getting to know the software/hardware, but it looks like six months is appropriate for most starters..

No comments:

Post a Comment