Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Out of Time


Not only is this a new song, but it's a complete song! I've mustered everything I've learned in the last two weeks, and made this song in three hours!

ElectroLite feels like a spiraling mess, probably because it's such a disorganized song. I decided to make a new track, and viola, I created "Out of Time."

To be honest, this isn't the kind of music creation I'm going for. I am glad, though, that I was able to take a simple beat and turn it into a complete song. This is the first song I've actually completed, and it feels great! The only thing I might fix is give it a little more kick, but otherwise a pretty solid song. It's a pretty awesome song too, just not one of those flashy complicated "Skrillex" numbers I'm going for.

As for the creation process, it sounded just "OK" until I stumbled upon an effect that made the song sound infinitely more professional grade:


It's called "Car stereo," and it's in the "multiband dynamics" section of Ableton. I don't even know what it does, but now I know this is an important effect for making a well polished track. My next goal is to learn what exactly it does to a song, then make my own custom multiband dynamic. I'm not a fan of using pre-made effects as it makes my experience feel "cheap," but this particular one did magic to my song. I will definitely use it for later tracks, at least for the near future. I wonder what this effect does to a song if I listen to it in... my car stereo!? (Haha... no?)

Yes, the song cover was last minute. Now that I think about it, I need my boy Steve to make a sweet logo for me! This is and ideal title I'd like to have:


My friend Tom also mentioned if I make the flat version, he can make the 3D effects. I think I could get Steve to make the flat outline of it, then I could scan it, make it black & white, then have Tom add the epic effects!

Also, my friend Tom is getting serious about making music as well:


You guys should check him out!

No comments:

Post a Comment