Sunday, January 29, 2012

Learning the Drums

My biggest fear of all this musical mayhem was that I'd have to learn the drums, and associate every sample sound I have to a certain instance; literally learning how to play drums.

My fear was extinguished today at work, when my co-worker Steve explained the simplicity of drums. In my last blog, I created a new song, that I shall continue to grow, called ElectroLite. Here is what a simple drum line sounds like with it:

ElectroLite w/ Drum Sampling

Simple, yet course altering for the song. Here is what the drum sampler looks like (called the Impulse):


The beats are simple: kick, snare, closed hat & open hat. I didn't take much time to choose my sounds, I just merely explored the impulse device. The way in which I created the beat was heavily influenced by how easy Steve said it was done. Here is what it looks like:


Simple, yet very effective! I want to elaborate on the drumming by separating each drum session into their own lines and supplying proper effects on each individual line to give it more flare. Right now, it's simple. I want it to become complicated as the song flows, as well as the hook-line for "ElectroLite."
As for the tutorial for the drumming controls, you can see the tutorial I used by clicking: Sonic Academy - Lesson 5 Creating a Drum Beat. I learned of the impulse device from this, but in another set of tutorials from Tom Cosm, he showed me how to create a more natural flow to the drum set while individualizing each piece of equipment.

My next challenge, aside from creating a unique drum line, is to create a sustainable bass line. I'm sure youtube has a tutorial for that, as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment